My Reviews

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Review: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

Goodreads Synopsis; The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people's minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.






My Review

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was a bit skeptical because it's an adult SciFi/Fantasy and I've never really read any adult Science Fiction or Fantasy, but I really loved it! The world was so complex but so fresh, I was totally enthralled by it.

I had planned to take my time with this book, read it slowly so I could fully immerse into the story and the world, because I'd heard the beginning was quite slow but I ended up finishing this book in just 2 days... It was so good and I was so hooked, I just couldn't stop reading it! 

I absolutely loved the world building in this book. I agree with everyone else that the beginning was quite slow, but it does pick up around 70-100 pages in. There's a lot of world building in this book, I feel like it was definitely a first book for setting up the world, but even though it had it's slow points it kept me intrigued and kept me turning the pages quickly, needing to know what was going to happen next! Although I thought the focus of clairvoyance was extremely cool, it was a bit confusing at times and I found myself a bit lost at points, but I'm hoping more will be explained about it in the sequel!

I loved the main character Paige. She was a badass, but also such a honest and real character. I really connected to her and loved her. I found Warden to be mysterious and I'm very interested to learn more about him in the books to come, because we didn't learn too much about him. 

This world is so unique and complex, and I absolutely loved it! It was very refreshing to me, I'm totally hooked on it and I can't wait to read the sequel and continue with this series! 








No comments:

Post a Comment