My Reviews

Monday, May 19, 2014

Invisibility by Andrea Cremer & David Levithan

Stephen has been invisible for practically his whole life — because of a curse his grandfather, a powerful cursecaster, bestowed on Stephen’s mother before Stephen was born. So when Elizabeth moves to Stephen’s NYC apartment building from Minnesota, no one is more surprised than he is that she can see him. A budding romance ensues, and when Stephen confides in Elizabeth about his predicament, the two of them decide to dive headfirst into the secret world of cursecasters and spellseekers to figure out a way to break the curse. But things don’t go as planned, especially when Stephen’s grandfather arrives in town, taking his anger out on everyone he sees. In the end, Elizabeth and Stephen must decide how big of a sacrifice they’re willing to make for Stephen to become visible — because the answer could mean the difference between life and death. At least for Elizabeth.


My Thoughts:


I was really interested to read this because I've read Andrea Cremer's Nightshade trilogy and I really loved it, although I'd never read anything by David Levithan before so I was also interested to read this and see if I liked his writing style. While I did like the writing style at most points in the story, I wasn't a huge fan of the book itself. 

My first problem with the book was the insta-love. Stephen and Elizabeth meet each other, then the next day their madly in love. I didn't feel any connection or chemistry between these characters, I honestly didn't even feel anything. Their relationship was just bland and I couldn't connect with it. It just felt flat to me.

Another problem I had was that not everything was explained as much as I wanted it to be. We never got to find out why exactly Elizabeth was the only one to be able to see Stephen. The world building was a little lacking and it left me with a few unanswered questions. As for the end of the book, there was resolution somewhat but I wasn't exactly happy with how it ended. I would have liked it to end a different way, plus it was a pretty open ending but as far as I know this is going to stay a standalone. 


Overall, I loved the writing in Invisibility and the premise, but I wasn't a huge fan of the main characters or the romance. I was a bit disappointed with the book unfortunately, but hopefully you'll like it more than I did!

Rating: 3/5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment