My Reviews

Thursday, May 22, 2014

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 




My Thoughts:

This is a spin-off from the Hex Hall series, which I loved, so I was super excited to read this! I love Rachel Hawkins fun, hilarious writing style. There are many laugh out loud moments in this book, also with a few swoon-worthy moments thrown in. 

Izzy was a great heroine, she was totally kick-ass, funny and she knows so little about the real world and what goes on with normal teenagers who don't hunt ghosts and vampires. It was a little hard to connect with her as a character, but I still enjoyed her.

Dex was my favorite character of all. He's Izzy's main love interest in this book, althought there wasn't too much romance in it, just a smidge. He's adorable and dorky, the total opposite of those arrogant bad boys we're so used to in YA and it was a nice change. The banter between Izzy and him was adorable and cute! He was unique, quirky and just totally adorable, I'm so rooting for him and Izzy to be together. 

I'm not too sure I liked the ending though. It definitely didn't end the way that I wanted it to, but in the same way I can understand the ending because it's a great opening for the sequel. This book was published 2013 but we still have no news of the sequel? Hmm. I'm really excited for it, so hopefully the title and cover will be revealed soon!

Rating: 4/5 Stars








No comments:

Post a Comment