My Reviews

Monday, May 19, 2014

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.





My Thoughts:


I am a huge fan of Rachel Hawkins. I loved the Hex Hall trilogy, it was one of my favorite trilogies back in 2012 so I was really excited to read this! Rachel Hawkins writes hilarious, light but still kick-ass stories, and this one did not disappoint! 

The main character Harper Price was actually a hilarious and awesome heroine. I wasn't sure if I would like her because she's literally the exact opposite of me, personality wise, but I really enjoyed reading in her POV most of the time. She was hilarious, fun and kick-ass. I'll admit I didn't exactly connect with her very well because as a character she didn't have much depth, but I still really liked her. I also loved David Stark. He was just so adorable and dorky, but I loved it. It was a change from the brooding, jackasses in most YA books and it was very refreshing. The romance between Harper and David was great, I felt the chemistry and connection between them. I love them together and I'm definitely rooting for them to stay together forever!

This book did have a bit of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer feel to it. The fighting scenes reminded me a lot of Buffy and also the drama and romance that's added in gave it a bit of a Buffy feel, which I loved since I'm a huge Buffy fan! I like that this book had really good world building, I felt that enough things were explained well enough that I wasn't totally confused, although there were parts where I was a little lost and I do have more questions that I'm hoping will be answered in the sequel!

Overall, this was a kick-ass book with a kick-ass, hilarious heroine and I loved it! I highly recommend this to anyone who's looking for an action packed book with plenty fun and hilarious moments, pick this up!


Rating: 4/5 stars





1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! And I can't wait for the next one to be published.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete